Friday, May 25, 2012

2 Weeks!

The weeks have been flying by and in my head I have been counting down. Counting down because I have a long list of things to do and am feeling like time is escaping me! We are still working on Ethan's new room so that we can transition him out of his current room, I'm trying to wrap things up at work and get sub plans/materials set, David has been working like crazy, we need to get out all the baby stuff and get them washed, and this is all on top of every day chores and having fun with the kids at every chance I get. The other day my OB kindly reminded me that you are never really ready, which is true. I guess there is always that!

I did have an ultrasound at 36 weeks, which is routine for this OB office. I remember doing it with both Ethan and Katelyn. It was reassuring to see our little girl and I got to see her open and close her mouth! Our OB thinks she will be about 7 and a half pounds and about 19 inches long. Things have been going great with this pregnancy, especially towards the end. I do take advantage of an afternoon nap whenever I get a chance (which is why little gets done from my list) and it helps me make it to the end of the day. The only thing is that I have been having a lot of Braxton Hicks, which I don't really remember having with the other two. I am pretty convinced that I do have some contractions here and there, but am not really ready to admit it. Nothing even close to regular, maybe one or two a day. The pictures aren't that great, but here are a few. Hopefully soon we'll decide on a name for this precious little one!

Her foot!

Her nose and mouth - This is when she opened up her mouth!

I do want to take a moment to remember what Ethan and Katelyn have been up to these days. I, at times, feel like Ethan has hit the awful three's and Katelyn the terrible two's at the same time. I'm not sure if it's the changes they are sensing, just where they are developmentally, or if they are feeding off each other. It's probably a combination of all three. Ethan has bursts of emotion probably 1-2 times a day, and it can last up to 20 minutes! I'm trying my best to use my background knowledge, but it's so much harder with your own child! He has started to whine and will ask "why?!?!?!" if I tell him "no" to a request. I was ready for the why stage in terms of explaining how things work, but not in question to my authority. But really, this is a small portion of our day. Other than these new behaviors, he continues to be an amazing big brother. He's the first to jump up and help Katelyn when something is stuck or she needs something opened. He is also very protective of her and will pull her away or shield her from danger (much against her will). It's a great instinct to see in him and I'm so proud of him! He is also very trustworthy and inquisitive. His imagination is soaring and I'm amazed at what he comes up with. Right now he's really into talking about candy (which is interesting because he rarely gets candy... maybe that's why!) and about his "kids". His "kids" do everything from going to the doctor's office with me to going to pick up their weekly box full of candy (just like our CSA box, but with sweet treats). He loves riding around in his red fire truck and has gotten really good at maneuvering around in it. He has also grown a lot socially and loves playing with other kids at the park, regardless of whether they are friends or strangers. The other day he played ice cream shop with two girls at the park he didn't know, it was the cutest thing!

Katelyn is beginning to talk more and more. Her vocabulary is increasing every day and she is beginning to use 3-4 word sentences. It's exciting to hear her little voice and the phrases she picks up! The other day she hurt herself and walked over to Ethan and said, "Bro bro, kiss it". And one time when Ethan was having a tantrum she came to me and said "Cover your ears" and covered her ears because it was pretty loud. And another time when I was telling her it was almost her nap time she said, "One more minute". Oh, I love it! I think her favorite color is purple and she still likes to have something in her hands at all times. We have moved away from holding granola bars. It was pens for awhile and now it's electronics (small calculator, old cell phones, etc). She has gotten better at leaving the item in the car or inside when asked, but does ask if she can take something with her. She still loves looking at books, especially in her bed. She definitely looks up to her big brother and enjoys doing what he does. She does, though, exert her own opinion and independence at times, which is a good thing. She's definitely not my little baby any more, she's a little toddler!