Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Big Brother & Big Sister

I have had the best time seeing how Ethan and Katelyn have reacted to having a baby sister at home. I knew that Ethan would be great with his new sister, as he is very cautious and careful. I knew that I wouldn't have to worry about her safety with him. But Ethan has gone above and beyond and has genuine, heartfelt concern for his new sister. It is absolutely the sweetest thing to watch!

Having some floor time with his baby sister... keeping her company and showing her our new hand sanitizers!

We were having lunch on this day and Ethan asked where his sister was. I told him that she was in the swing and Ethan asked, "Is she all alone?" I told him that she was, but that she was fine. Ethan immediately got down from his chair and started going into the backyard. It took us a minute, but we finally realized that Ethan thought Emily was in our outside swing and was worried about her being outside by herself! We explained that she was in the baby swing and Ethan went into the family room and began singing songs for her. Emily is so lucky to have an older brother who watches out for her!

I wasn't too sure about how Katelyn would react to having a baby in the house because I didn't know if she really understood there was a baby in my tummy while I was pregnant. And honestly, I still saw Katelyn as "my baby". I should have known that she would be a great older sister given the way she has been interested in babies lately and how great she is with younger children. One of the very first things Katelyn did when she met Emily was kiss her on the head. Katelyn is constantly kissing Emily on the head, asking to "See baby. Kiss baby". David believes that she does this because she has seen us kiss her and her brother and has learned that it is a sign of affection. Katelyn also enjoys sharing with Emily. Sometimes I will find her lamb lovey with Emily or find Emily is the swing surrounded by little toys. Emily is lucky to have an older sister who loves her so much!

So far the transition has been going really well. Ethan is already used to having a younger sibling with Katelyn, so I don't think sharing his attention with Emily is anything new, and Katelyn never knew what it was like to not share us. It may be a different story once David goes back to work, but for now, we are enjoying our time with daddy home as we make this transition with our sweet Emily in our family!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Aww that is so sweet! Emily is definitely lucky to have such great older siblings :)