Sunday, June 3, 2012

Emily Megan!!!

Our precious girl, Emily Megan, is here!!!

She, without a doubt, caught us off guard! On Wednesday we had spent the morning with some friends from MOPS and grandma at the San Diego Children's Discovery Museum. In the afternoon I had my last OB appointment and everything looked fine. David had to work late, so after dinner I took Ethan and Katelyn on our nightly walk around the neighborhood. I pushed Katelyn in the buggy and Ethan on his tricycle. We took the walk slowly, but I was feeling great. I was determined to finish up sub plans and get the rest of the materials prepped for the sub that night so that I could spend the rest of the week washing baby clothes, pulling out our baby equipment, and moving around Ethan's clothes to make room for our baby's clothes. Around 9 PM I started feeling a few contractions, but they weren't regular. I was determined that they were going to pass but they were too painful to work through. So, I gave up on the idea of getting the remainder of my work stuff finished in hopes of resting and putting off the potential of labor. David had his big meeting the next day, a meeting he had been working really hard for weeks, so I was even more determined that the contractions weren't the real deal. About an hour later I decided to go to bed to rest, although I decided I need to download a timer app on my phone to see how long my contractions were lasting and how far apart they were. About half an hour later, I was still in full denial even though my contractions pretty painful and were lasting at least a minute and were every 4-5 minutes. This couldn't be happening, as her scheduled C-section was still 9 days away, and her actual due date was 16 days away! David climbed into bed and asked how I was doing. I told him not to worry, the baby was not on her way. Well, about 5 minutes later, I finally admitted that this baby was definitely coming! So, we jumped up and David quickly packed a bag while trying to call his parents. We couldn't reach his parents by phone, so David jumped in the car and drove over to their house to wake them up. Thankfully they live about 10 minutes away! Meanwhile, I'm trying to pack a bag and remember the essentials, like my wallet and camera, in between contractions. David came back and once his mom got here, we were off to the hospital! We reached the hospital about 11:30 PM and went to triage. My contractions and the baby were monitored, for what seemed like forever, because my contractions were pretty painful. I was eventually checked to see if I was dilated, and I was at 4 cm! The nurse said that gave me the ticket to be admitted. After being prepped for surgery, we were set to have our baby girl!

 Getting ready to have our baby girl! Thankfully David waited for the contraction to pass before taking the picture!

The only problem was that we still hadn't decided on a name! We kept throwing names around while I was being prepped and even during the surgery itself! We both liked the name Emily and Megan, but couldn't decide on one. While I was being prepped for surgery the nurses and techs asked about the baby's name and I told them we were undecided. Given the two choices, everyone in the surgery room liked Emily. I think it was later in the day when we finally decided on her name. When Ethan woke up that morning grandma explained that we were at the hospital and he asked about her name. Grandma told him our choices and Ethan said that we should name her Emily Megan! We loved the suggestion, and that's how we decided on her name, with the great help of her big brother!

She was born at 2:25 AM! Meeting our precious girl for the first time!

The newest addition to our family!

She weighed 6 lbs 11 ounces and was 18.5 inches long.

Daddy with our sweet girl after she was checked out.

Grandpa time!

Meeting her big brother and sister for the first time!

Our first picture as a family of 5!

Katleyn and Ethan were very interested in their little sister.

I was missing Ethan and Katleyn, so David brought me pictures of them that we taped to the bed.

Sleepy girl!

On Friday, our OB came to check on us around 11:30 AM and asked if we were ready to go home. We both said yes, thinking he was referring to going home on Saturday. We were completely caught off guard when he said we could go home that day! It had been less than 18 hours after having Emily! It was abnormally fast for a C-section, but my recovery was going great. From past experience we knew that checking out could take awhile. We had a wonderful nurse, Vida, and knew she would get us home as fast as she could. We realized that we hadn't done the newborn hearing test yet, so they called the tech to come do the test. Meanwhile, David ran home to dig out the car seat, install the car seat in the car, and dig out a newborn outfit for Emily to wear home!

Doing her newborn hearing test. She passed!

On our way home! Vida got us checked out by 4 PM so that we could go home and surprise everyone in time for dinner! 

We are so thankful and blessed to have a healthy, perfect Emily Megan! And so we start our family of five!

3 comments:

Dan said...

Congratulations! We can't wait to see you guys today and meet Emily!!

allisonwardrip said...

WOW!!!!!!! That is an AMAZING story!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your kiddos are all so precious! Congrats on your new baby girl! She is a beauty! :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome aboard, Emily Megan.

Love,G-Pa