We are at the tail end (I hope) of the "What did you say?" phase. It probably started in November and was huge in December. I never really looked into it, but my sister-in-law told us that her children went through the same phase, which was reassuring. At times it seemed as though he wasn't hearing us and was asking us to repeat everything, but David hypothesized that maybe it's because he is more aware now and wants to catch every word. Either way, I at times felt like a recording, repeating myself over and over again.
I also love that he is interested in others and will often ask questions about our day or how things went, like "How was work?" or "How was Bible study?" I was thinking about it earlier and I think part of the reason it catches me off guard is because the kids I work with who are verbal usually have a diagnosis of autism and are not aware/interested in others' point of view. It's neat to see him show care and concern.
What really got me thinking about Ethan's communication was our conversation this morning while we were eating our blueberry waffles covered with strawberry jam...
Ethan starts spontaneously singing the weather song, a song we sing at Friends School.
Ethan: What's the weather like mom?
Me: It's foggy outside, but it will probably burn off once the sun comes out.
Ethan: God will burn the fog off with the sun.
Me: Yes, that's true.
Ethan: God made this table. God made this water bottle. God created you. God created me. God created all of us.
I just knew I never wanted to forget this snip bit in time!
1 comment:
I'm so glad you shared this post! Keira is going through the "what did you say?" phase too and it has been driving me crazy to continually repeat myself!! I am glad to know it is a normal part of development. Phew! :)
Post a Comment